Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Basement Project

I love our house, don't get me wrong. BUT, it was built in 1979. So you know what that means - it needs updating. Bad. So, we have been slowly working on it. In October we finished our bathroom, which was the most out-dated room in the house. After we finished the bathroom, I told Jason I wanted to do the basement. We have wood paneling on four different walls, and I HATE it. It's dark, and so, so, so ugly. Although it took a bit of convincing, we finally agreed to begin this project sometime in January.

I was out of town at the beginning of the week, and came home Wednesday night to find out that Jason had taken down almost all of the paneling! Yay! Just having it down makes the room so much brighter, I can't believe it! So of course, I had to take some pictures. Because our house is a multi-level home, our basement is tiny. But, you get the point.


This is our stairway, leading up to the landing. Both sides were covered in paneling, and went about halfway up the wall. Gag.

You can see our stairs on the left-hand side in this picture. The entire wall behind the entertainment center (which hopefully someday will go away) was covered. Gag again. The wall on the right is also entirely covered, but has a ledge halfway up the wall. We are still trying to figure out how and what we are going to do with this. Look! Even the SHADES are wood!!!! Ahhh!!!!

This is the other half of the big all-covered wall. Since our fireplace is oak, we've decided to replace the three windows, so they are oak as well. So...for right now, that is the plan. I really don't like oak, I'm much more of a dark-wood fan, but it would be silly to have two different woods in one room, so be it.
This is just a picture of the other half of the room, with the atrocious green paint. The grey is a color we were thinking of doing the walls in, but after getting it on the wall, realized it is much too light. Because the tile on our fireplace is green, and our furniture is green (as you can see), I think the only color of paint that is going to work is a dark grey. We've talked about a beige-y color, but since that is the color of our main floor, we're trying to stay away from it. Plus...it's boring. :)

And then the other half. Tiny, huh?

So amongst the paneling, and the windows, we also plan to replace the carpet. What is in now is extremely cheap, and way too light for a family with a big dog. :) I'm sure we'll end up with a light beige for the carpet. We don't want too much dark, otherwise the room will seem even smaller than it already is!

So there's our "Basement Project." I know it will take a few months to get everything done, but I can't wait. Matter-of-fact, I've already started talking about our next project. Jason doesn't like that very much. Oops!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I have a huge list of house projects to do as well. However my Husband & I just bought out house in October and haven't really begun many projects yet. But we have wood panel walls in our basement too, I cannot wait to get rid of it! :)

Oh, I tagged you too...

The way it works:
1. Go to the 4th picture folder on your computer.
2. Post the 4th picture in that folder.
3. Explain the picture.
4. Tag 4 more people.